TERMINATION OF A FURNISHED HOUSING LEASE UNDER THE FRENCH LAW
FURNISHED AND MAIN RESIDENCE OF THE TENANT
IF the apartment or house is:
Is the tenant’s main residence,
The lease is governed by article L. 632-1 of the Code de la construction et de l’habitation.
- TERMINATION BY THE TENANT
AT ANY TIME
The tenant can terminate the lease AT ANY TIME during the one year lease and WITHOUT ANY REASON (No justification is needed).
1 MONTH NOTICE PERIOD
The tenant must do so with a 1 MONTH’s notice. The notice period is 1 MONTH for the tenant.
- TERMINATION BY THE LANDLORD/LESSOR
TERMINATION SUBJECT TO SELLING, MOVING IN OR LONG TERM REPAIRS
However, the landlord is allowed to terminate the lease ONLY IF:
- The apartment or house is to be sold,
- The landlord or his children or parents are to move into the apartment,
- Long term repairs in the flat are necessary,
3 MONTHS NOTICE PERIOD
The lessor/landlord has to give a 3 months notice period before the end of the one year lease renewed every year.
LATE NOTICE OR LEGALLY UNJUSTIFIED NOTICE
If the lessor gives a late notice or legally unjustified notice, the lease is renewed for 3 years.
Ask a question to our English-speaking lawyers (free of charge)
TERMINATION OF AN UNFURNISHED HOUSING LEASE (FRENCH LAW)
If the apartment or house is unfurnished, the termination of the lease is governed by article 15 of the 6th July 1989 law.
TERMINATION BY THE TENANT
The tenant can terminate the lease AT ANY TIME during of the three year-lease and WITHOUT ANY JUSTIFICATION.
The duration of the notice period is:
- ONE MONTH (in Paris and big cities or if there is a medical reasons, loss of job, new job, RSA …)
- 3 MONTHS notice in other case.
TERMINATION BY THE LANDLORD/LESSOR
The landlord is allowed to terminate the lease ONLY IF:
- Selling of the real estate
- The landlord or his children or parents are to move into the apartment
- Long term repairs in the flat are necessary
Late or unjustified notice by the landlord: Lease Renewed for 3 years
Beware, the lessor has to be careful. A late notice or a legally unjustified notice, will renew automatically the lease for 3 years.
Me Bruno Traesch on radio FRANCE BLEU:
Related Articles :
- Termination of a commercial lease due to unpaid rents
- Termination of a commercial lease in France
- Selling Real Estate in France
- What kind of contract with the real estate agent in France?
- Eviction of a Tenant: a long process (French Law)
- Buying property in France that needs refurbishing
- Real estate Latent Defects(vice caché)-French Law
- What should I do if my tenant is not paying rent ? (in France)
- Can I terminate the lease ? French Law