TERMINATION OF A FURNISHED LEASE UNDER THE FRENCH LAW
FURNISHED AND MAIN RESIDENCE OF THE TENANT
IF the apartment or house is:
Is the tenant’s main residence,
The lease is governed by article L. 632-1 of the Code de la construction et de l’habitation.
- TERMINATION BY THE TENANT
AT ANY TIME
The tenant can terminate the lease AT ANY TIME during the one year lease and WITHOUT ANY REASON (No justification is needed).
1 MONTH NOTICE PERIOD
The tenant must do so with a 1 MONTH’s notice. The notice period is 1 MONTH for the tenant.
- TERMINATION BY THE LANDLORD/LESSOR
TERMINATION SUBJECT TO SELLING, MOVING IN OR LONG TERM REPAIRS
However, the landlord is allowed to terminate the lease ONLY IF:
- The apartment or house is to be sold,
- The landlord or his children or parents are to move into the apartment,
- Long term repairs in the flat are necessary,
3 MONTHS NOTICE PERIOD
The lessor/landlord has to give a 3 months notice period before the end of the one year lease renewed every year.
LATE NOTICE OR LEGALLY UNJUSTIFIED NOTICE
If the lessor gives a late notice or legally unjustified notice, the lease is renewed for 3 years.
Ask a question to our English-speaking lawyers (free of charge)
Related Articles :
- Termination of a commercial lease due to unpaid rents
- Termination of a commercial lease in France
- Selling Real Estate in France
- What kind of contract with the real estate agent in France?
- Eviction of a Tenant: a long process (French Law)
- Buying property in France that needs refurbishing
- Real estate Latent Defects(vice caché)-French Law
- What should I do if my tenant is not paying rent ? (in France)
- Can I terminate the lease ? French Law
Me Bruno Traesch on radio FRANCE BLEU: